Cauliflower Pulao with Coconut Milk - a Staple Toddler Recipe
This recipe has become a staple in our house and is one of the few recipes that I never have to stress about. It is a slightly different take on a classic Vegetable Pulao, which is packed full of vegetables, flavour and can be made either vegetarian (as is), or sometimes I add some shredded chicken or shredded salmon. The coconut milk is the game changer in this recipe!
You will need:
- 1 medium size potatoe, sweet potatoe also works, chopped in small cubes
- 1/2 carrot minced
- 1 handful of green beans minced
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 cup basmati rice
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp turmeric
- salt to taste
- dry spice: 1 small cardamon, 2 cloves, a small piece of cinnamon, a dried bay leaf, 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp tomatoe paste (or puree)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
1. Heat olive oil in a pan, and add in your dry spices. Roast for 2 minutes.
2. Add in your garlic, onions and salt.
3. Cook for a few minutes, then add in your tomatoe paste, turmeric, coriander powder and cumin powder.
4. Once cooked, add in your potatoe chunks, green beans, carrots, rice and coconut milk. Add in water (for 1.5 cups of rice, 1.5 cups of water should be ok) - cook until done.
If you're adding chicken or salmon, bake the chicken or salmon with a little olive oil, then shred into the rice once its ready and mix well. Make sure to remove the cardamon, cinnamon and cloves before serving. My toddlers love this with a side of Greek Yogurt. If making for adults, add in Kashmiri chilli powder, this gives the dish a beautiful colour.