Healthy Toddler Pizza
I call this Healthy Toddler Pizza but in truth it is one of our favourite family recipes. You can make this fun and interactive by setting up a Pizza Station at dinner time and allowing your little one to make their own pizza, setting up all the toppings and sauce in little bowls. We do this often and the great thing about this recipe is that it cooks in less than 10 minutes, so your toddler doesn't loose too much focus on the meal once it's ready for cooking.
For the pizza sauce you will need:
- 2 tomatoes chopped (you can also use 1/2 cup Passata or Puree)
- 1 sweet pepper chopped
- 2-3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 3 tbsps of olive oil
- squeeze of honey
- 1/4 white onion
- pinch of salt
1. On a medium flame, add your olive oil to the pan and cook your garlic until almost brown. Add in your onions and let caramelise
2. Add in your tomatoes and peppers, and cook well. Add in your tomato paste, increase the paste if you want a thicker sauce.
3. Squeeze in your honey, and season with salt and pepper. You can also add any dried herbs (such as basil or oregano) if you want.
4. Once properly cooked, take off the fire, add to your blender and blitz. And your pasta sauce is ready. You can add any veggies to this such as carrots and zucchini, which will not alter the colour or taste.
This will give you enough sauce for a few pizzas. You can also increase the amounts and do a pasta arrabiata. And if you want to make a creamy pink sauce pasta, add in some cashew cream (blending 1 cup of raw cashews with 1/2 cup water).
For the Pizza you will need:
- your pizza sauce
- organic cheddar cheese (be mindful when buying pre-grated as it's often full of preservatives and fillers)
- vegetables of your choice - we use olives, peppers, onions and spinach
- wholewheat tortilla wrap
1. Take your tortilla wrap and add around 2.5 - 3 tbsps of pizza sauce
2. Add all your vegetables
3. Grate your cheese on top
4. On a medium flame, spray a pan with olive oil, and place your tortilla on top, covering it with a lid so that the cheese melt well. Cook for around 6-7 minutes
For smaller children, you can lightly cook your toppings such as your spinach and onions so they're nice and soft and then use them as the toppings.