The Ultimate Pasta Carbonara
I have to say my happiness exceeded normal levels the day I finally cracked the recipe for the perfect creamy, garlicky, delicious Carbonara. For those that know - it is just really hard to get a perfect Carbonara, either the creamy-ness is too sickly, or the flavour is too bland. Anyway - look no further, because this is the recipe you need. And for those that do not eat meat, substitute the meat for mushrooms or simply leave it out. Disclaimer: this is an indulgent recipe, but does fit within a Keto diet if you substitute the pasta for Shirataki noodles)
You will need:
- 1/2 bulb of garlic minced
- 1/2 large onion minced
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream (or you can use home made cashew cream)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (I recommend this 4 ingredient Hunter's avocado oil mayonnaise)
- 120 grams diced Pancetta (this is around 1.5 small packets)
- 2 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup shredded Parmesan
- 1 tbsp organic butter
- whole-wheat spaghetti pasta (or shirataki noodles if Keto)
1. In a pan, add your butter. Once melted add in your minced garlic on a medium fire
2. Once the garlic is slightly brown, add in the onion. Keep the fire low, ensuring the garlic and onion do not burn but caramelise
3. Add in the pancetta and cook until crisp and brown. Remove from heat and move everything into a bowl, leaving a little oil in the pan
4. In a separate bowl, whisk the mayonnaise together with the heavy creamy, add into the same pan (with the pancetta oil) on a low flame. Let simmer for 5-7 minutes
5. Add in your pasta to the simmering cream
6. Add in the two raw egg yolks to the bowl with pancetta, onion and garlic. Mix well and add into the cream and pasta
7. Mix everything until well combined (if you need more sauce, add in a little more cream).
8. Add in the Parmesan and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
The biggest tip with Carbonara is to eat it as fresh from the pan as possible, before the egg gets all hard and the cream starts to thicken. If you are a chili person add in some chili flakes on top.