Gooey Chocolate Oatmeal Bars
This is a slightly more indulgent recipe than those I usually post, but it is insanely delicious and really tastes like one of those gourmet store bought treats. And it's always nice to have those restaurant style indulgent recipes up your sleeve, especially for when you have friends over. This recipe is an altered version of Half Baked Harvest's original recipe which I followed and tweaked, reducing the sweetness and heaviness.
You will need:
- 1 cup gluten free old fashioned oats
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup date sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup melted organic butter (or ghee)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsps vanilla
- 1 cup dark chocolate sugar free dairy free chocolate chips (I use Ombar or Hu Kitchen)
For the Gooey Caramel you will need:
- 1/3 cup melted organic butter
- 1/2 cup date sugar (use 1/3 cup if you want even less sweetness)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Pre-heat over to 180 degrees and line an 8 x 8 inch square baking dish with baking paper. If you do not have this size dish (like me), use whatever size you have, but use up only an 8 x 8 inch square space.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, flour, butter, vanilla, eggs, salt and baking soda until the dough is moist and slightly crumbly. Split the mix in half, and using one half only, press it down into the 8 x 8 inch dish. Bake for 10 minutes until golden.
- Whilst it's baking, make the gooey caramel by combining the caramel ingredients on a medium heat in a small pan - keep stirring. Take off the heat after 5-8 minutes and sprinkle a little salt.
- Once your oats are out of the oven, spread on the caramel. And sprinkle the remaining crumble on the top. Bake for a further 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool completely (very important, as it will not set until cooled), then cut into bars. Or enjoy it warm and sticky, fresh out of the oven. Best eaten with ice-cream or custard!